Thursday, April 16, 2015

Aerial: The Dream




I've been meaning to write about this for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it.  It's pretty much been a major focus of my life for the past six months minus that little detour I took in January.  Honestly one of the biggest disappointments was realizing that when I had brain surgery I wouldn't be able to keep training and I would lose all of my hard earned progress.  Because, for some reason, I never thought for one second that it was all over for me.  Somehow I always knew I would come out on top and I could still picture myself becoming an aerialist one day.  I don't know why I believed that.  I don't know if I was in denial or if it was the Spirit reassuring me that everything would be okay.  I think it might be because I had been praying to be able to be an inspiration and I thought maybe the diagnosis was an answer to that prayer.  Maybe not such a smart thing to pray for, looking back.

I have always wanted to be a dancer.  When I watch people dance, I can't just enjoy watching and be entertained.  It causes me pain that I'm not the one dancing.  I can't explain it but I've got it really bad. When I hear a really good song, I just want to be one with the music.  Don't ask me why I haven't taken dance lessons all my life.  I think it took me awhile to realize that it was my passion.  I remember thinking, as a teenager, it's too late.  I can't start now, when everyone else has already been taking lessons since they were little.  And now, here I am, thirty-five years old, in circus class.  If I had had the confidence to just start where I was, I could have been so far ahead of where I am right now. Instead, I just wasted time, being afraid to try.

When I went to BYU and was picking out my college classes, I saw a beginning precision dance class.  I thought, "This is my chance!" I started taking that "beginning" class and felt like such an idiot.  I guess by "beginning", they meant you've only been taking dance since you were 8 instead of since you were 3 because it was way over my head.  I talked to my teacher after class one day and told her I had no formal training and asked if I would be able to succeed in this class.  She said, "No."  So I quit!  Once again, it was too late for me.

Until a date took me to the BYU Ballroom Dance Concert and I fell completely in love.  Like, literally, me and ballroom dance were running through a field of wild flowers in slow motion towards each other.  After that, I spent an entire summer taking ballroom lessons trying to prepare to try out for the ballroom dance team.  Unfortunately, the lessons I was taking were the wrong style and I just wasn't quite trained enough to make the team.  Although, I did get some encouraging comments from my ballroom instructors at BYU that I had "a lot of potential."

Enter Joe into the scene.  I completely dropped out of all my classes so I could be a full time girlfriend.  Stupid, I know.  I'm sure my mom is still mad about this.  Sorry Mom!

Over the years, I have made several attempts to learn different styles of dance but they always end in me feeling like I started too late and will never be good enough.  And lately, the other problem has been whatever stupid condition I have that prevents me from losing weight.  I always think, "No one wants to see someone dance that isn't thin!"  It seems like a prerequisite for being a dancer.  I just knew that my weight would forever hold me back and I would never be able to live my dream.  Until I watched the following video that my mom posted on YouTube:




The girl in this video just blew me away!  She has no legs and still she decided that she could become a gymnast!  How in the world?!  I realized in that moment that, if she could become an award winning athlete with NO LEGS, then I could certainly learn to dance whether I'm skinny or not!  I have NO excuses!

So, once I got past the point of not believing in myself, my next obstacle was finding a dance class for adults.  There really are almost no opportunities for adults to learn to dance.  If you already are a dancer, there are adult dance teams and adults can become dance teachers, but if  you aren't already trained, that's just too bad for you!  There are plenty of classes for couples, but, trust me, I've been down that road.  It just doesn't work very well when your spouse isn't interested.  He would go along with it for my sake but I'm not interested in occasionally, casually learning a form of dance.  I want to completely commit myself to learning a dance style-every.single. day.

I started searching the internet for all the dance classes I could find that were offered to adults.  I found a few aerial studios that taught aerial silks.  I got so excited thinking about it!  But, of course, they were all in Salt Lake.  Then I found a studio that had just opened up in Pleasant Grove about ten minutes from my house!  And it was totally affordable, too!  Which is another problem with dance classes.  This was such great timing because this was the first year for me to have all of my children at school full day.  It was so devastating for me to not have them at home, I needed something fun and exciting to do instead of being alone all day.  It was intimidating to start because I knew it would be physically really challenging.  And walking into a dance class at my age and with my body type, I just didn't know what to expect.  I didn't know if I would feel totally out of place or what.

This is probably the number one thing I love about my studio (J&M Expressions).  It's so accepting and open to everyone.  There's no one telling you or making you feel like you have to be a certain age or certain body type to be successful.  My instructor, Jennifer Wilkins, acts completely convinced that every person in the room will one day get to the level she's at.  Maybe she's bluffing, but she's pretty convincing!  It's such a comfortable place to try something new and scary and HARD!!!

Holy cow, I can't believe how hard it is!  I think that having TV and YouTube has exposed us to so many crazy freaks in our lifetime that we underestimate the amount of strength and training that it takes to actually do crazy superhuman things.  I never would have guessed how challenging it is to learn aerial silks!  It takes an incredible amount of muscle to be able to lift your body weight and hold it for several minutes while you pose and extend mid-air.  And then there's the flexibility!  The most beautiful aerialists to watch are the ones who can contort and bend into amazing poses while they're in the air. But don't worry, it only takes YEARS to gain that kind of flexibility!  The biggest surprise of all was finding out how painful it is to lay forward or backward on an aerial silk.  When all your weight is resting on it and it's fully stretched, it feels like having a metal rod in your back or stomach.  Super painful.  Not to mention the discomfort of all the blood rushing to your head while hanging upside down.  Motion sickness while spinning, silk burns, wrapping your body in fabric that digs into you and cuts off the circulation in your feet and hands...ya...it's hard. The people that can do it well are NOT HUMAN.  So that's my goal, to someday not be human :)

You may wonder why I would be interested in this sport when I make it sound so miserable.  It is the most exciting thing I've ever done!  The first time I wrapped my foot in a foot lock and stood up off of the ground was the hugest thrill!  I love that, not only does this studio offer aerial silk classes, but they offer strength and flexibility classes that help you to actually make progress instead of feeling like, "Well, I guess this is too hard for me, I'll just give up now!"  I'm really loving it.  I do still get discouraged from time to time, but the thing that makes this so right for me is that, after years of unsuccessfully trying to lose weight, I finally have a way to see progress and results.  I can't lose weight in pounds but I can get stronger and start to do tricks that used to be too hard for me.  The first time I climbed the silk was so exciting!  And after six months of attempting pull ups and not being able to even lift my feet off the ground, today I felt my feet come off the ground for the first time!  I couldn't believe it, I couldn't even do the monkey bars when I was in elementary school!  It seems insane to think that in another six months I could be lifting myself completely into the air in a full pull up!  I will throw a party when that day finally comes!  All you skinny people have no idea how hard that is for the rest of us.


So, about praying to be an inspiration, that came from watching videos like the one about Jennifer Bricker and also this video about Arthur that most of you have probably watched:


I wasted so much time believing that I couldn't do the things that I wanted to do, that I thought I could document my journey to becoming an aerialist (my husband is conveniently a film maker) and maybe that could inspire other people the way these people have inspired me.  So my first thought when I was told I had a brain tumor was, "This is going to make the video so much better!"  And when I was told I had to shave my head, I thought, "That is going to be some great footage!"  It was disappointing that the doctor didn't want me to shave it myself because I couldn't video it, but now I'm so glad that I got to keep most of my hair.  Before the tumor,  I had Joe come to the studio to film some "before" footage to document where I started.  He edited it into a cute little video:



I know it's not super impressive yet, but that was kind of the point.  I want to be able to see how far I've come next time he comes to video me.  This video was shot after three months of training.  I was DEVASTATED when I had to stop training for surgery.  Just getting to where I was took an incredible amount of effort and I was going to lose all my progress!  But now I've been back for about two and a half months and I'm getting my muscle back and I'm almost back to where I was in my conditioning.

The lesson I've learned is that if you want something, don't let anyone convince you that you can't do it, especially you!  The only thing that has kept me from my goals all these years is not believing that I could do it and being afraid to look stupid.  And if I don't accomplish my goals until I'm 80?  Well that will just make for a better video!  How impressive is that?!  "The 80 year old aerialist"  how awesome would that be?

On another note, last Sunday I was released from being a Young Women's leader after FOUR YEARS.  No big deal, I just lost all of my best friends and my only opportunities to hang with girls and crack up! Ya, I'm a little sad about it.  But, no worries, because every Mormon's worst nightmare has just come true for me.  As if having brain surgery, cancer, and multiple sclerosis wasn't enough excitement for one year, I was asked to be the GOSPEL DOCTRINE TEACHER.  And standing up in front of almost the whole ward every other week teaching a room full of people who are all ten times more experienced than me and ten times more educated than me, is my idea of a good time!  What could be more fun than that?  Forget girls camp!

I truly once said, "If I ever get that calling, I'm leaving the church."  I'm glad that I get this opportunity to prove to Heavenly Father that I was just being sarcastic and that I would do anything He asked me to do because He has blessed me with miracle after miracle in my life and I could never repay him.  The best thing I can do to show my gratitude is to be willing to accept any calling or assignment to serve Him.  Who knows, maybe there will be another miracle and I'll actually become a good teacher!


7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Lauren. I needed to hear it today. You are so inspiring!

    And I'm so glad Joe made this video of you! Your lines and the pictures you were creating were absolutely beautiful! I so look forward to seeing you more on your journey!

    And eh-hem....=) I remember you saying that comment to me about Gospel Doctrine. ;) But Lauren, you will do a wonderful job! The Lord seeks those who are willing to be an instrument in His hand and has a desire to do His will, and you are definitely that person! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty impressive. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Determination ,willpower,desire all come to mind......with a great big dose of enthusiasm and courage ......guess I could actually go sky diving now Na...there's more chance of becoming an opera singer!! Love your blog...so encouraging ..
    Big, Big ,BIG hug Pam ( Rossiter ) xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I knew you could dance ever since that Father/Daughter 50's dance we went to in Las Vegas. Your aerial dancing is so strong and yet graceful at the same time. I'm so proud of you, not just for the aerials, but for who you are.
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for always inspiring Lauren! You are truly amazing. I have always wanted to do this aerials, but didn't have courage to go for it. These video of yours has encouraged me to go for it and follow my heart.
    Much Love,
    Etizolam RX Online

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked. it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing.
    they're telling you to calm down because your feelings are out of control. When you're emotional, you're feeling lots of feelings,
    Buy Etilaam

    ReplyDelete